Located in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Gruissan in the Aude region, the EolMed project consists in the installation of four wind turbines of individual capacities of 6.2 MW, installed on floating concrete foundations more than 15 km from the shore and anchored at an average depth of 55 meters.
This farm, with a total capacity of 24.8 MW, will be capable of producing nearly 100 million kWh/year, the annual electricity consumption of 50,000 inhabitants.
The pilot farm will provide unique experience, both for the development of a high potential industry and for the confirmation of the floating foundation technology developed by the French specialist, Idéol.
As a pilot farm, it benefits from :
- The advantages of floating wind power,
- The experience of Senvion wind turbines, tested and proven for years.
- The innovative technology of the Idéol floater in the form of a square ring of concrete, the Floatgen demonstrator of which was tested off the coast of Croisic.
- A demonstration period of 20 years providing the opportunity to improve the energy performances of floating wind turbines and their interaction with the environment.
- It is adapted to the specifics of the Gruissan site: proximity to the base port in Port-la-Nouvelle, sea floor relief allowing for a distance of more than 15 km from the shore with an average depth of 55 meters, and a strong wind potential.